14 July 2011
Players: Brad, Braon, Lenora, Lex, TJ
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Date: 3 June 2011
- Marcus and Adrian drive around town, waiting for a call from Jack and Lincoln to tell them where to rendezvous. In the meantime, Marcus begins questioning Orlando Thomas. At first Thomas is reluctant to respond, but eventually he begins to give in – especially when Adrian indicates she’s willing to use her knife to extract some information. He reveals only limited information until the group arrives at the warehouse, ties him up, and begins a more thorough interrogation.
- Meanwhile, Lincoln and Jack rendezvous at an internet cafe near the hostel where they had been staying. They pick up Martin, but just as they’re leaving, they notice a story in the local news which indicates Czech officials have requested the assistance of the FBI in tracking down “the suspected American terrorists” involved in the recent high profile incidents in Prague.
- When Lincoln, Jack, and Martin arrive at the warehouse, they set to work on the interrogation. The bartender from Gallerie NoD is kept in a separate room from Orlando.
- Martin doesn’t play much of a role in the interrogation; instead, he continues to look for more information about the FBI working with local authorities.
- In general, Marcus tries to play on the shared ties between Orlando and himself, while Jack tends to Orlando’s wounds. However, when Orlando proves somewhat reluctant to provide more information, Adrian and Lincoln begin to threat Orlando with bodily harm.
- Eventually Thomas admits:
- That he has worked for the KGB and currently works for the SVR (Russian Foreign Intel Service) as a double agent, feeding them info on US operations in Prague and the Czech Republic;
- UMBRA, who is also a spy working for Russia, was the one who originally turned him.
- Orlando was assigned to work for the US State Dept in Prague for years, where he built a close and profitable working relationship with UMBRA. In recent years he was transferred to a different location. About a year ago, he was transferred back to Prague. When he tried to re-connect with UMBRA, she avoided him.
- About four or five months ago, Stephen Lucas was assigned to work in Prague and make contact with UMBRA. He was successful and negotiated UMBRA’s defection to the US. This immediately concerned Orlando, who knew that his status as a double agent was in jeopardy and he’d be in trouble with the US.
- It was at that point that he set out to kill UMBRA and Stephen Lucas. He admitted that Damek Polotski and the thugs from Galerie NoD were working for him and that Damek was at the casino to kill UMBRA and Lucas.
- Thomas also revealed that Lida Novak is also working at the nuclear research institute with UMBRA and as an agent for the Russians. Thomas is still in communication with her and has used her to track UMBRA up until UMBRA and Lucas went missing recently.
- Thomas says that in addition to the economic intel UMBRA gets from the research institute she is also interested because the institute focuses on nuclear medical research and UMBRA has serious radiation burns and illness.
- Thomas doesn’t know how to find Stephen Lucas or UMBRA (if he did he would have killed them)
- During the interrogation Marcus is angered and kicks Thomas in the mouth.
- Eventually the group gets together and tries to decide on a course of action. They decide to send this text to Stephen Lucas’ phone:
- “We arrived in Orlando but realized we made a wrong turn and now we need directions.”
- A few minutes later they received a reply with the name of an apartment complex in an upscale part of town. After a couple more text message exchanges, the group also receives what they guess to be the number of the apartment where Lucas is at.
- The group travels to the apartment, leaving Martin behind to watch Orlando Thomas and the bartender.
- When the group arrives they waste no time in going to the apartment, where they find Stephen Lucas waiting. After a couple minutes feeling each other out, Lucas accepts the group’s story and takes them to a bedroom where UMBRA is staying. She looks old and weak and covered in radiation burns.
- The group tells her they are there to save her, but she reveals the Koreans have contacted her and are willing to pay her more than the US. Adrian convinces UMBRA that the US will match her demands.
- Meanwhile, Jack is searching through the main living room and begins to hear police sirens closing in on the apartment complex. He warns the rest of the group that the cops may be coming for them.
- Marcus carries UMBRA, while Adrian grabs the woman’s walker. Stephen Lucas goes with them as they head for a stairwell. Meanwhile, Jack and Lincoln set a fire so that the building’s fire alarm will go off.
- The group races down the stairwell and heads to the building’s main foyer, where they plan to take a different stairwell to the apartments’ underground garage and grab Stephen Lucas’ car.
- When they arrive in the foyer they see a group of about 15 – 20 people trying to escape the building, but they also see Damek Polotski and a couple of thugs wielding AK-47s. The thugs open up on the group, mowing down bystanders in the process. Everyone in the group gets hit, to include Marcus and Adrian who aren’t wearing bulletproof vests.
- The group abandons their plan and instead heads for the nearest fire escape door. Lincoln lays down cover fire while most of the group escapes.
- The thugs follow the group out of the building and ends up dealing a near fatal wound to Lucas. Lincoln finally drops Damek with a few well placed shots.
- The group runs out to the street and is able to get the attention of some local cops and direct them to the thugs. Jack bravely goes back for Stephen Lucas, putting himself in danger as he tries to evade the semi-automatic fire from one of the thugs.
- The gunfight finally ends when the thugs run away from the cops. The group takes the opportunity to flee to the Renault they took from Orlando Thomas.
- They head back to the warehouse, and Jack and Marcus do an excellent job of patching up everyone’s wounds. They tie Thomas up and leave him in the warehouse.
- The group blindfolds the bartender and drops him off in a different part of town and then drops off a very wounded but stable Stephen Lucas at the US Embassy. Then they leave for Estonia.
- This information is drawn from an email exchange after the session. During the drive to Estonia, the group asks UMBRA a few questions:
In general, she seems a little reluctant to delve into specifics with the group, though she does seem drawn to Adrian – perhaps because she sees some of herself within Adrian. She is also genuinely thankful to Jack for stitching her up after the shootout.
So here’s what she tells you:
1. Her background in general.
She was born in Czechoslovakia in the 1960s. She served as an intelligence officer in the KGB and then the SVR. After the fall of the FSU, she began working as an agent, stealing secrets from the nuclear research institute near Prague. She was primarily charged with stealing secrets about nuclear medicine, but she would also report on any other activities underway at the institute.
2. Her ties to Orlando Thomas.
She met Orlando Thomas in the 1990s. At the time she discovered he was a intelligence officer working undercover as a state department employee. She was eventually able to turn him and use him as a source for Russian intelligence. They worked together until 2008. At that time he was reassigned to a different post. By 2011 when he returned to Prague, she had decided to defect.
3. Her role in the KGB and SVR.
She served as an intelligence analyst at first in the KGB and then as an agent in the SVR, collecting on nuclear research issues in the Czech Republic.
4. What she was focused on at the Nuclear Research Institute.
Mostly nuclear medicine but all nuclear research in general to a lesser extent.
5. Why she decided to defect.
She is reluctant to delve into this. She only says, “I’ve given way to much and now it’s time to get something in return.” And adds that her “days of basement work are over.” When she says this, she also mumbles “I think you know what I mean” and sort of gives a wink to Adrian.
6. and why the US (and the Koreans at a minimum) wanted her so bad.
Again she seems reluctant to delve into this too much. She just says, “Well, you know, all that basement work…everyone’s interested. Especially the Koreans. I guess the Americans just want it the most.”
- When they arrive in Estonia, Lincoln is able to smooth-talk his way with an airline operator for some expensive, but no questions asked airfare. Within a couple hours the group, along with UMBRA, are in the air headed for the US.
- Operation: UMBRA accomplished.